Select Resources on Timor-Leste
The following is a very brief list of maps, websites and books that provide good introductions to different aspects of Timor-Leste's geography, history and contemporary society. There is an enormous variety of material available on Timor-Leste, so these resources provide possible starting points.
- Barrkman, Joanna, From the Hands of our Ancestors: The Arts and Crafts of Timor-Leste, Museum and Art Gallery Northern Territory, Fannie Bay, 2009.
- Bovensiepen, Judith, The Land of Gold: Conflict Recovery and Cultural Revival in Independent Timor-Leste, Cornell, New York, 2015.
- Cummins, Deborah, Local Governance in Timor-Leste: Lessons in Postcolonial State-building, Routledge, Oxon, 2015.
- Cristalis, Irena, Bitter Dawn: East Timor, A People's Story, Zed Books, London, New York, 2002.
- Dunn, James, East Timor: A Rough Passage to Independence, Longueville Books, Sydney, 2003.
- Durand, Frederic, 1250-2005: 750 Ans de Cartographie et de Voyages, Arkuiris et Irasec, Toulouse and Bangkok, 2006.
- Fitzpatrick, Daniel, Andrew McWilliam and Susana Barnes, Property and Social Resilience in Times of Conflict: Land, Custom and Law in East Timor, Ashgate Publishing, Farnham, 2013.
- Fox, James and Dionisio Babo Soares, Out of the Ashes: Destruction and Reconstruction of East Timor, ANU E-Press, Canberra, 2000.
- Greenless, Don and Robert Garran, Deliverance: The Inside Story of East Timor's Fight for Freedom, Allen & Unwin, Crows Nest, 2002.
- Gunn, Geoffrey, Timor Loro Sae: 500 Years, Livros do Oriente, Hong Kong, 1999.
- Hagerdal, Hans, Lords of the Land, Lords of the Sea: Conflict and Adaptation in Early Colonial Timor 1600-1800, KITLV Press, Leiden, 2012.
- Joliffe, Jill, East Timor: Nationalism and colonialism, University of Queensland Press, Brisbane, 1978.
- Kammen, Douglas, Three Centuries of Conflict in East Timor, Rutgers University Press, New York, 2015.
- Leach, Michael, Nation-Building and National Identity in Timor-Leste, Routledge, London, 2017.
- Marker, Jamsheed, East Timor: A Memoir of the Negotiations for Independence, McFarland & Company, 2003.
- McDonald, Hamish (et al), Masters of Terror: Indonesia's Military and Violence in East Timor in 1999, Canberra Papers on Strategy and Defence No. 145, Strategic and Defence Studies Centre, Australian National University, Canberra, 2002.
- McWilliam, Andrew and Elizabeth Traube, Land and Life in Timor-Leste: Ethnographic Essays, ANU E-Press, Canberra, 2011.
- Molnar, Andrea, Timor-Leste: Politics, History, and Culture, Routledge, Oxon, 2010.
- Nicol, Bill, Timor: A nation reborn, Equinox Publishing, Jakarta, 2002.
- Palmer, Lisa, Water Politics and Spiritual Ecology: Custom, Environmental Governance & Development, Routledge, New York, 2015.
- Smythe, Patrick A., The Heaviest Blow-The Catholic Church and the East Timor Issue, Transaction Publishers, New Brunswick, 2004.
- Tanter, Richard, Mark Selden and Stephen Shalom (eds), Bitter Flowers, Sweet Flowers, Pluto Press, Sydney, 2001.
- Taylor, John G., Indonesia's Forgotten War: The hidden history of East Timor, Zed, London, 1991.
- Commission for Reception, Truth and Reconciliation in East Timor. (CAVR)
- Early Warning Early Response (EWER) System: Conflict and Incident Monitoring Data Portal
- East Timor: An Introduction to the History, Politics and Culture of Southeast Asia's Youngest Nation
- East Timor Women Australia
- International Centre for Transitional Justice (ICTJ) Timor-Leste.
- La'o Hamutuk Development Monitoring and Analysis
- Naroman Tetun Translator
- The East Timor and Indonesian Action Network (ETAN)
- Timor Archives: Clearing House for Archival Records on Timor Inc. (CHART Project)
- Timor-Leste Studies Association (TLSA)
Maps of Timor-Leste
- Agriculture and Land use Geographic Information System (ALGIS) Agro-Meterology Department, Ministry of Agriculture, Forestries and Fisheries (MAFF) RDTL.
- Regions of Timor-Leste, Department of Public Information, Cartographic Section, Map No. 4117 Rev. 4, United Nations, Dili, 2002.
- East Timor, Department of Public Information, Geographic Section, Map. No. 4111, United Nations, Dili, 1999.
- Timor-Leste Atlas Map, Field Information and Coordination Support Section, Division of Operational Services, UNHCR, Dili, 2006.
- Districts of Timor-Leste, MTRC Information Centre, RDTL, Dili, 2006.
- Maps of Timor-Leste, Seeds of Life, Dili.